Thursday, June 23, 2011

Why Do Tomatoes Split?

I have one tomato plant that is producing split tomatoes. The tomatoes taste fantastic, but they are not pretty. The other three tomato plants are producing beautiful tomatoes.

I googled "Why do tomatoes split?" and found a web site titled Gardening Know How. The site explained the problem exactly: "Sometimes, if you have a lot of rain after a spell of really dry weather, you will find splitting tomatoes on your tomato plants" (see http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/vegetable/tomato-cracking.htm).

We had a very long stretch of no rain and now it's been raining for the last two days. I think the Gardening Know How web site describes my problem exactly.

However, the other tomato plants are doing just fine. Hmm. Perhaps I've done a better job watering them?

No comments:

Post a Comment