Sunday, May 29, 2011

Crazy Potatoes; Lazy Cabbage... we planted something there, I swear!

O Lord, grant that in some way it may rain everyday, say from about midnight until three o'clock in the morning, but you see, it must be gentle and warm so that it can soak in, grant that at the same time it would not rain on campion, alyssum, helianthemum, lavender and the others, which in your infinite wisdom know are drought-loving plants--I will write their names on a bit of paper if you like--and grant that the sun may shine the whole day long, but not everywhere (not, for instance, on spirea, gentian, plantain lily, or rhododendron) and not too much: that there may be plenty of dew and little wind, enough worms, no plant lice or snails, no mildew, and that once a week thin liquid manure and guano may fall from heaven. Amen.
Our homeschool group has two community gardens. Both gardens have a gardening journal. The journal provides a place to record what the weather has been like, what the plants look like, what the gardener did that day, what they enjoyed and learned, and the journal includes a Bible verse or prayer to remind us that God provides good land and wonderful growth.

But I am quite certain that no one is actually reading the garden journals. How do I know? Because no one--NOT ONE PERSON--has commented on the prayer above!

I have to admit that I'm so thankful to Mrs. Shannon (that's pronounced MizShannon down here in The South) for submitting this prayer for the garden journal. The prayer reminds me of how I want things to be easy. I did plenty of hard work to get the boxes set up, to get the soil mixed, to plant the plants and seeds. Can't I stop there?

NO!

Gardening is work. I must water my plants, prune them when they need pruning, provide support when they want to grow up and up and up, and protect them from pests. By the sweat of our brows, we will eat our food (see Gen 3:19), but oh so good that food will be!

(There are many more lessons to learn from that prayer, and
we have all summer to ponder them...)

My poor plants. I have not been tending to them this past month. I have not been watering them regularly. I have not pruned them since that first time I blogged about pruning. I have not provided support for them (but Ms. Tina built them support this past week!). And I've provided just a little protection from pests, but the peppers feel neglected... Poor things. 

Do you think the plants will forgive me?

Well, some of them have! But some of them have not shown that they were planted at all! Some squares in my square foot garden are very green with lots of growth. Other squares are very dark with lots of soil.

growing. GroWinG... GROWING!

What will we eat from the garden? Well, let's first take a look at which square are very green with lots of growth!

Potatoes

The potatoes are growing like crazy! They have taken over the root vegetable garden. The onions that I planted between the squares of potatoes did not come up at all. The potatoes are hogging all the sunlight! I had no idea that potatoes grew UP so high!


All that tall growth is potatoes!

Lesson learned: Do not try to grow anything in between squares of potatoes because they will be fighting for sunlight.

Tomatoes

The tomatoes are also growing like crazy! The tomato plant in the middle has grown so tall that it has bent over with the weight. So, Ms. Tina built a trellis to support it and the other tomato plants, the cucumber plant, the pumpkin, the melons, the zucchini, the beans, and the cantaloupe.


This photo probably does not make the tomatoes look impressive. The one in the middle is the one that has grown so tall, but we bent it over to the trellis so that itwould grow up rather than on the ground.

I see plenty of dark soil here, so I'm thinking that I can buy some basil plants to put among the tomatoes. Mmm... What could I make with tomatoes and basil?

Corn

The corn is growing, too. I think it's over 2 feet tall.


Corn and Peas

Peas

The peas are growing among the corn. The other day, Ms. Tina and I wound the pea plants around the corn. The idea is to get the corn to act as a natural trellis for the peas. We'll have to see if it works!

Beans

The beans are growing well. They are just starting to get tall enough to need some support, so Ms. Tina and I gave them some string onto which to climb.



Cantaloupe, Pumpkin, Cucumber, and Zucchini

All growing well.




The cucumber was crowded by the tomato, so I moved the tomato over and up the trellis.
The cucumber should get more sunlight now.

Lettuces, Chard, and Kale

Growing well, but I could sow more seeds.




The chard does have little holes in the leaves, so something seems to be eating it.


Peppers

The peppers are over a foot tall, and there have been peppers on the pepper plants for over a month. However, the plant closest to the garage has struggled compared to the others.


The further the peppers are away from the garage, the taller they are. That means the plants on the right are getting more evening (west) sun than the plants on the left.

The struggling pepper plant

This plant has not grown as tall, it was losing its leaves when it was first planted, and now it seems to have something eating the leaves.

Broccoli

We have many broccoli plants! Even the one in Thermoman's pail is doing well--and there are no holes in the bottom to let it drain! I am amazed at how well it's doing.


Thermoman's broccoli

However, we also have many squares of black soil with no broccoli plants. So, some seeds sprouted and some did not.



Eggplant

Two out of the three eggplant are growing!



Black Soil--and No Plants!

What won't we be eating? Let's find out where there's plenty of black soil and no plants.

Carrots

I can't tell you how sad I am about having only two carrot plants. I LOVE carrots, especially organic carrots because they taste so much better.

When I lived in Minnesota, I taste tested conventional carrots, organic carrots, and Minnesota Grown carrots. The organic and Minnesota Grown carrots were so much better than the conventional carrots, but I could never decide between the other two.

I am very curious as to whether my home-grown carrots will taste as good as organic from the grocery store. But with only two available for my test--and probably small ones at that--I probably will not find out this year.

Other than the fact that some of the carrots are competing with the potatoes for sun, I don't know why they didn't sprout. I guess I have some research to do.



Onions

There are just a few onions growing. Considering that we planted 12 in each of three squares, that's not saying much. Some of the onions are competing with the potatoes but not all of them. Why they didn't sprout is as curious as why the carrots didn't sprout.



Red Cabbage

I am very sad that the cabbage did not sprout! We only want the cabbage for science experiments, but how fun it would have been to go get the red cabbage from our very own back yard rather than making a run to the grocery store.



What's Cooking?

Right now, we could make Fried Green Tomatoes. (We are in Georgia, afterall... Actually, we're in the town where the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" was filmed!) But I am looking forward to making our own spaghetti sauce or, better yet, our own salsa!

I look forward to taste-testing the corn to see if it's as good as Minnesota Grown (sorry, but the Florida corn that I've bought at the grocery store pales in comparison to Minnesota corn).

And I can't wait to go to my garden for lettuce and chard for my lunchtime salads!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful garden! My favorite lunch: Chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, green onion, fresh basil, a little fresh mint (if you have it) and some kalamata olives. Kosher salt, fresh black pepper, balsamic vinegar or fresh lemon juice and a nice olive oil. Mix in some crumbled feta cheese. It's good without the feta, but I really love feta. Serve with toasted pita.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post Cheryl! I've been curious how the garden was growing. Just to compare, it's funny that I have had the same issue with broccoli. I planted six seeds and only 1 has sprouted. Not sure if they were eaten by birds or just didn't sprout but I replanted more a few days ago so we'll see. In contrast, my carrots are doing well. I planted 18 and only 2 haven't sprouted. Now I'm just hoping my boxes are deep enough. What I would cook...Roasted Veggie Orzo using the peppers, zucchini and eggplant, it would be nice to throw onion in it, but it would still be good without. (maybe I can get the onion from Cindy's garden) You're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is doing amazing!

    ReplyDelete